Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blog Post #9

What I've Learned This Year
What I've Learned This Year
Mr.McClung's post is nothing short of inspiring. Every aspiring teacher should read this. He begins by asking us to remember to check if our students are listening and learning when making our lectures. In regards to said lectures, he says the "No lesson is ever perfect. The lesson you teach and the one you plan are always different." This encouragement to allow ourselves to be laid back and not worry so much about "perfection" sounds like ingredients for the classroom I've envisioned. Mr.McClung goes on to ask us to not set our students up for failure with unattainable expectations and to listen to them. This relates back to a section of "Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire" in which Rafe states that mutual respect is the key to an orderly classroom without students fearing their teacher as a result. Lastly, Mr.McClung tells his readers to not fear technology and to constantly learn. These are two things I've recently learned the importance of through this class. To me "What I've Learned This Year" is a post of encouragement. As someone who has not yet had the privilege of teaching, I'm constantly worrying about future mistakes and how to achieve the "perfect" classoom. Mr.McClung's post felt very real and down to earth. His words of wisdom are ones that I will surely carry with me into my first day as a teacher.


This is a cartoon image of a blackboard with the words

3 comments:

  1. perfection, perfection, perfection. The quest can often get in the way. Thoughtful and personal Thanks!

    Last week Mr. McClung posted his third annual reflection. I think they get better and better. It will take only 5 minutes or so to read the 2010-2011 What I Learned This Year I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana,
    Amazing blog post! I agree with your comment that Mr. McClung himself, as well as his blog post, seemed "down to earth". Some elements of teaching can be intimmidating! I also like that you tied in a lesson you learned from his post with another assignment on Mr. Esquith. Great way to make connections between the things you are learning! This is impressive because it shows that you are really appreciating what you are learning and not forgetting about it once it has been accomplished :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alana,
    I think we will all have reflections like Mr. McClung's at the end of our first year. I am sure we will have some mistakes, but that is what we learn from. I wonder if the technology will be even more challenging when we are out? I have really enjoyed so far what we are attempting to do with it and broadening our horizons. We will all be learning together. Good thoughts!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete