Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blog Post #5

Langwitches
Langwitches
"Langwitches" left me very excited to try this with my own class someday. What I thought was particularly striking was that the students were experimenting with the pitches and fluency of their voices. I feel as if that creates a breeding ground for good public speaking that will be important throughout their schooling and later in their careers as well. It makes me wonder if using podcasts would help students in other areas as well.
Could reading along to their own podcast help children whose strong point isn't reading? I'm curious to find out. I think that further use and experimentation with podcasting would help students to become more interested in reading and public speaking. I'm anxious to try this in the future.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom
The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom
"The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom" takes the concept a little more in depth than "Langwitches." The video states that podcasts can enhance creativity and allow students to achieve a higher level or learning as they will be teaching others. It also provides an example of how podcasting can help students who have to miss important sick days due to illnesses. By having the ability to access the class lectures online students will not only have a way to catch up on work when they miss school, but will also be able to use the lectures for help with homework.
Parents would also be able to keep track of what their students are doing. A demonstration of students recording a podcast is provided for the reader as well. I felt like this video will the useful when my group is filming our podcast as it was very informative and I know have a good sense of what a podcast is and what it is capable of when used as a learning tool.

100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better
100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better
I was a little skeptical before reading this article since I only use my iPod when driving. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the list of educational tools that iPods can tap into. A plethora of study guides, podcasts and apps have been at my fingertips without my even knowing. What I find especially useful is how small an iPod is. Though I see students on campus lugging laptops around all day, an iPod would easily fit into a purse or a pocket. It is truly learning on the go.
In addition to being used to any time/place access to study tools, iPods have learning tutorials. These ensure that one can get the absolute most out of these tiny devices. I look forward to see what I can do with mine!
These are five iPods in various colors.

3 comments:

  1. Alana,
    I thoroughly enjoyed the video "The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom" as well. It really opened my eyes to how this can be a useful tool in and out of the classroom. To be honest, I never really knew what a podcast was. I really think that this will be a useful tool in the classroom.
    In working at an elementary school now, I see the effects that it has on a student’s school work when they are absent for over a week. When flu season hit, there were kids that were out for a full week at a time. It would have been beneficial for those children to be able to listen to their lessons so that they wouldn’t be behind when they returned.
    I also enjoyed the article "100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better" myself. I just recently got an iPhone 4 and it has been my best friend. The possibilities are endless. I use it for everything. Do you only listen to music with yours? Be sure to check out all of its uses. It is a great resource. The app that I use the most is the dictionary app. They are small, so we are able to just throw it in our purse and have it ready whenever we need it.
    Your blog looks great! Keep up the good work!
    Deana
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are excited about your future profession-- you should be! I love my choice more and more every single day. I realize my personal and professional weaknesses and strengths on a daily basis because you are responsible for coordinating 20+ minds to grow together each and everyday. It is NEVER easy, but can be VERY fun and DEFINITELY rewarding. I can't wait to see what you do in the classroom. Good work this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtful. Well written. I am looking forward to your podcast. I hope you will make use of what you have learned from these exercises in your podcast.

    ReplyDelete