Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Blog Post #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
"A Vision of Students Today" accurately depicts my college life. The part of the video in which students display how many tasks they must accomplish in a day hits particularly close to home. I think that feeling overwhelmed is common among college students, especially Freshmen. I would emphasis the money spent on textbooks and college courses more if it were to mirror my experiences better.
I liked the way "A Vision of Students Today" was shot. By not having any of the students speak it created a kind of eerie and lonely vibe. I think that's the general feeling Wesch was going for, and one that college freshmen can appreciate. The students holding up signs with real world problems such as war poverty at the end of the video presents another interesting complex that students must deal with. Will the classes they are enrolled in help them deal with "real world" problems? And if so, how can they apply what they know to better our world? Overall, I think "A Vision of Students Today" presents an authentic description of college life.

It's Not about the Technology
It's Not About Technology
I loved this article! Kelly Hines brought up some great points about technology in the classroom that I couldn't agree with more! In "Teachers Must be Learners" Hines mentions that while every teacher must take various tests in order to teach, their basic knowledge can become outdated after a decade of teaching. Teachers who aspire to constantly learn will inevitably provide the best education possible for their students. And not only that, but how inspiring is it that the teachers are actually students too! Keeping educators updated on the newest methods and information would provide so many good role models for children as well. I hope I can embody this learning spirit and encourage my students to constantly learn!
Hines states that "if a student has not learned, not matter how much effort has been exerted, no teaching has been done," in "Learning and Teaching are not the Same Thing." This is so motivational and makes me want to completely immerse myself in everything anyway related to education. "It's Not about the Technology" makes it clear to the reader that only someone who is creative with their teaching techniques can successfully use technology in the classroom. But if technology is used correctly as a supplement to a good teacher, "the possibilities are endless," as Hines says.
It is a cartoon computer.

Is it Okay to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher
While I don't feel as extremely about technology illiterate teachers as Karl Fisch, it is undeniable that he makes good points throughout his post. He states that while teaching math, parents of struggling students often said they weren't good at math either as if it were excusable. I completely understand that as I have been guilty of uttering that exact phrase(as have my mathematically challenged parents). Fisch says that while it may be socially acceptable to some to not understand math, it is almost never acceptable to have the inability to read. This made me think about my own standards for my education.
I consider myself adequate with technology(though still awful at math). However, I've always had an easier time with my English courses, or more specifically, reading. If I put as much effort into bettering myself in the computer world as I do into reading I would be a much more well rounded person. Now I see where Fisch is coming from. With all that technology has to offer, how could I not make it my goal to understand it?

Gary Hayes' Social Media Counts
It's a little surreal to watch Gary Hayes' Social Media Count. It tracks various internet actions such as Facebook comments, videos seen on YouTube and apps downloaded by the second. These aren't exactly what I could call useful internet resources. In the right hands they could be, but for the most part Facebook seems to be purely composed of stalking and scandalous weekend pictures. I do think this displays how quickly the internet moves, and therefor how relevant it is becoming.
I think that this will effect my teaching career because eventually more and more things will be moved to internet only. As demonstrated through his Social Media Counts, the number of emails sent in just the past couple of seconds are astounding. This could affect how I communicate with my students' parents. Maybe when I'm teaching teachers will post YouTube videos for parents to watch. Or better yet, YouTube videos for at home tutoring. The technology changes illustrated by Gary Hayes will possibly change the way I converse with my fellow teachers, parents and students.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Alana,
    You seemed to have really gotten to the core of Michael Wesch's video. I am constantly overwhelmed myself. You pointed out how strongly this feeling can be for Freshman, so I wanted to ask if you felt that this could be one of the reasons for the high alcohol and drug use on college campuses today?
    I so agree with your statement "Teachers who aspire to constantly learn will inevitably provide the best education possible for their students." We have to be learners ourselves to give our students a chance.
    You gave great insight to what Fisch is saying. Like you, I am one of those who has problems with math but excels at reading. After reading your statement "If I put as much effort into bettering myself in the computer world as I do in the reading I would be a much more rounded person." This made me take a very close look at myself. I have had to face somethings about my efforts in certain subjects that I did not like. I want to thank you for that.

    GREAT JOB ON THIS POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I liked the way 'A Vision of Students Today' was shot. By not having any of the students speak it created a kind of eerie and lonely vibe." I had not thought of that.

    "But if technology is used correctly as a supplement to a good teacher, 'the possibilities are endless,' as Hines says." That's the key! Well stated!

    "With all that technology has to offer, how could I not make it my goal to understand it?" Yes, how can you not?

    Maybe when I'm teaching teachers will post YouTube videos for parents to watch. Or better yet, YouTube videos for at home tutoring." Not maybe. It will be this way!

    Very interesting. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete