Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student
The Networked Student
The question "Why does a networked students even need a teacher?" was asked after watching this video. I'll start off by saying how impressed I am that the student is able to take so much responsibility and discover things on her own. I think that's a great way to learn. My approach to remaining useful in networked students' lives would be to learn as much as I possibly can so that I would have more to offer. The video demonstrated how eager these students are to learn, so I think the real challenge would be keeping up with them and always providing something new and interesting.
At this point in time I might not be completely ready to teach networked children, but I think as I further my college career I will become more prepared. All the articles and videos we're assigned to read/watch for our blog posts will aid in my preparation for that kind of teaching. I think that networked students will still need a teacher to provide guidance and help if they get stuck with one of their assignments.
As a teacher I would also strive to constantly come prepared with more information and tools and projects to use online. The student in the video is obviously very independent and smart, but with a teacher's help her goals could steadily raise to new heights. That combined with their independent learning would help develop strong motivated students that I would be proud to have in my class.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
This girl's Personal Learning Environment is very organized! I unfortunately can't say that mine is as orderly as hers, but it's still neat. I do not have the same page as she does with my websites laid out(though I'm very interested in it now!). Most of my frequently used websites are bookmarked in a folder labeled "School." I also "like" articles I read on my Stumble account so that I can find more like them and come back to them later.
After seeing her video I am much more interested in organizing my laptop and Internet usage the way she does. I generally keep my room and car organized and clean, but I haven't taken the time to do so with my computer. Seeing how coordinated her page was has inspired me to do the same. After all, the more I learn to do on the computer, the more I can teach my students!

Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative
Michael Staton provides two strong reasons why SMARTboards are not necessary in the classroom. He states that some of the "new" technologies found on a SMARTboard can easily be replicated without one. He uses the "save the brainstorm" aspect of it as an example. Staton points out that this is also accomplished by using a screenshot, Microsoft OneNote, or the old-fashioned transparencies that accompany projectors.
Just as you begin to ask yourself why schools would ever spend money on a SMARTboard, Staton provides the reasoning behind it. It is easier to request money for specific items(such as SMARTboards), than it is to ask for extra money to develop new learning techniques. As Staton says, Administrators need to request "things they can point to and count."

Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards
Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards
Bill Ferriter's post on Interactive Whiteboards is more emotionally charged than Staton's. One of the most inspiring points that he makes is that SMARTboards do not fulfill the general vision of a great classroom that most teachers strive to attain. Ferriter asked a principal what she considered the perfect classroom to look like. She responded with an image of students creating and learning as well as challenging one another in their studies. She said that the students would "grow independently."
Ferriter states that SMARTboards may make lessons easier, but they are not a tool to help students "grow independently." He goes on to say that schools are not equipped with an system to actually measure how much(or how little) SMARTboards accomplish.

Education Technology for the Classroom: From Blackboards to Digital Projectors to SMARTboards
Education Technology for the Classroom: From Blackboards to Digital Projectors to SMARTboards
In this Blog both pros and cons of SMARTboards were listed, but for the purpose of the "Compare and Contrast" portion of this assignment I'll only focus on the Pros. Mr.Kuroneko cited that with SMARTboards the teacher is not stuck behind a keyboard, but rather they are in front of the classroom interacting with the white board and the students. In Staton's post he felt that SMARTboards really contained old technology wrapped up in an expensive new board. While SMARTboards may provide the teacher with the ability to remain in front of his/her class, that could also be achieved with a tool probably less expensive. The two other pros listed were that even if the SMARTboard markers were lost, teachers can still write on it(and they come in four different colors) and SMARTboards can convert handwriting to text(though in Mr.Kuroneko's con list he stated that SMARTboards made handwriting atrocious) and save the result. While the SMARTboard does have it's perks, I feel that after reading these posts it is increasingly obvious that their inability to actually provide new teaching methods renders them useless.
This is a SMARTboard.

2 comments:

  1. Thorough, well written.

    Two comments. 1) Think about the networked teacher with a very different role that one who supplies information. I am not sure you left the video with that in mind. 2) A PLN (or PLE) is a network of people, tools, and sources of information and help. It is not just a neat organized computer or Symbaloo. That's nice, but it is the network that is important. Remember that as you build your PLN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you recognized the amount of responsibility that the student has as a networked student. So, in regards to assessment and engagement, it is important for the teacher to create purpose. I think that the purpose will lesson your load as a guide because the best part of teaching networked students is seeing how many different ways they are able to contribute to your purpose. With that said, your purpose must be meaningful and relevant. So my question to you is, as a networked teacher, what kind of purpose will your students find relevant, why will they think it's meaningful?

    ReplyDelete