Thursday, July 14, 2011

Project #3

Comments for Teachers #4
Beth Still's The Nebraska Change Agent

Twitter 101
Twitter 101
In Twitter 101 Ms.Still talks about how Twitter has most benefited her. She feels that Twitter allows her to reach out the people and knowledge that she would not have otherwise been able to access. Ms.Still also mentions that a key part of Twitter is following the right mix of people(which is what we have also learned the importance of in this class). as she puts it, "helping someone get started on Twitter, but failing to provide suggestions of who to follow is like starting out on a road trip without a map." I do think this is very true since the main part of Twitter is receiving the feed of people one follows. Who you are/are not following can determine how interesting or useful the information you receive is.
For my comment on her post I stated that since I'm still figuring out my own Twitter account, it is inspiring to see how much she has gotten out of using Twitter. I mentioned that we have also learned the importance of following people who will have useful things to our personal feeds in EDM310.

Controversy Over Grades
Controversy Over Grades
In "Controversy Over Grades" the comments are just as substantive as the actual post. Ms.Still feels that grades are somewhat necessary since they determine if a student advances to the next grade level, what type of classes they are put in, colleges they get into, ect. It would be difficult to rework this entire system without some form of learning measurement. Someone who commented on this post pointed out that every teacher has his/her own "system" for calculating grades. It is very clear to me that the grading system is in no means perfect. However, like Ms.Still, I can't seem to think of a replacement measuring system.
In my comment on her post I stated that I was still on the fence about grades, but her post(and the comments below it) were very helpful and thought provoking. After reading what everyone had to say on the matter I have some ideas on how to make my grading system more personal and thorough. There were suggestions such as attaching a written evaluation of studetns' strengths and weakness to the "official" grade sheet. It was a wonderful read!
These are various letter grades stamped in different colors.

1 comment:

  1. Time is a real killer for large classes when thorough evaluations are provided. I think it is important to involve the student in self reflection about their grades. It is important. And it works! You are a case in point.

    ReplyDelete