Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blog Post #14

For Blog Post #14 I chose to do the "e-media fast." I tried to keep myself as busy as possible throughout the day to prevent lapsing. Most of the day was surprisingly easy, but again, this is most likely because I wasn't laying around the house. I chose to try the e-media fast Saturday since I didn't work and would not come into contact with computers all day. My boyfriend, Robby, was the most helpful person around me during the media fast. Having someone to spend the day with made it less tempting for me to turn on my computer. While no one was unhelpful, keeping my phone off was the hardest part as I was worried someone would need to contact me and not be able to. After completing my e-media fast I learned how useful my cell phone is. My family doesn't have a house phone, so I was a little anxious that I would miss something important throughout the day. After the fast, I'm glad that I live in a time where I can remain in constant contact with my family and loved ones.
This is a clipart image of a purple cell phone.

I think that my students will be very dependent on technology at the rate that it is advancing. I would like them to be able to experience e-media fasts in order to learn to appreciate the information available to them. Hopefully their constant access to computers at such a young age will aid them throughout their scholastic careers. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with Blogging and Google Docs(just to name a few things), but these are things that my future students may already know how to use. To me, this fast was valuable because it showed me how important and useful technology is.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! It worked for you. So the telephone was the hardest. Amy Wilborn reported the same thing. No boyfriend though. Just horses and goats!

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete